Automatic payments

ThePostLady
Contributor
Contributor

Hello knowledgeable folk.

I have 2 questions if I may, both relating to automatic payments.

My website requires customers to sign up for automatic payments with PayPal annually..

On 20th July I had an email from Paypal 'you've received a payment' advising that one of my customers payments had been received and the next one was due 20th July 2022.  She has continued to use the service since this renewal email was sent by Paypal.  Her status says active in green.  On 23rd July I had another email from Paypal to say that the cheque payment was declined by the customers bank.  

Does this mean the payment was successful originally but she has since cancelled it with the bank?  I don't understand who it can have been taken but then declined 3 days later.  We are a storage facility and the customer has items in storage.  Her items will be destroyed after 7 days if her account is not settled but so far she has not responded to emails from us to either of the 2 email addresses we have for her.

I have another customer who was due for an automatic payment yesterday.  This customer also has items in storage.

Her payment was not received yesterday.  Her subscription information still said active until today but we received an email to say that the payment has not been received and that they would try again in 5 days.  Today we had an email to advise that the status of the subscription has been changed.  The subscription hasn't been cancelled but instead where the status used to be green and say active, there is now nothing there at all.  It just says Status: (update).

I am guessing that in this instance, either the PayPal account no longer exists, or the bank account associated with this payment is no longer active maybe?

We have also contacted this customer to try to arrange alternative payment but so far have had no response.

I hate to dispose of peoples belongings so I am wondering if anyone can advise what has happened in both scenarios?  Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi ThePostLady, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum!

Yes it sounds like the transaction was cancelled by the customer, and the bank refused the funds. When a payment is declined, the customer receives an email advising them of the decline, and that the payment will be attempted again within 5 days. It is similar to the one you would receive with a little bit more information for the buyer's side. It is possible the customer cancelled the agreement to prevent the payment from being taken again. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.