A work around for not paying tax on a purchase

Judy_S
Contributor
Contributor

I had an order over the weekend.  As i was preparing the order, I noticed that the city and state were reversed.  What that did was to not charge the customer any sales tax.  She lives in California and I'm located in California.  All California buyers are charged tax.  I checked the paypal check out form and they provide a dropdown menu for adding the correct state, so this didn't happen at checkout.  She used her paypal account and when i contacted her

about it, she said she checked her account information and the city and state were in the correct positions.  Paypal seems to have automatically switched those two fields and I'm stuck with paying the tax on this order.  This will throw off my annual tax information when it comes time to pay the state.  I'm wondering now how many more have gotten through without paying tax. 

I called paypal and spoke to a woman who had no clue about what I was telling her.  This is apparently a glitch in the programming and a persons account information can be turned around to look like an out of state purchase because there is no safeguard in place for existing account information to be processed accurately.  This is not the first time something like this has happened.  In the past, paypal can use old addresses that have been changed when a buyer moves. 

I don't know if anyone here can direct me to the proper place to post this, but all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.