PayPal KEY is definitely NOT accepted "anywhere credit cards are accepted" for online payments.

jeffreim
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else found that there are many online retailers who will NOT accept the "PayPal KEY" as payment? PayPal says that the key can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted as a credit payment. While I have been successful once or twice, SEVERAL times -- include just minutes ago as I tried to order a gift card from a major restaurant chain -- the Key was not accepted... it kept telling me to "recheck" my information (name/address, card number). But I carefully check my name and address, then use the "copy" feature to copy the "card" number exactly, double check the exp. date and 3-digit code, and... nothing.

I suppose my main question is, am I doing something wrong to make this happen on several sites (mostly very well-known restaurants -- using their online ordering)?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ididntwantaname
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. It has been accepted some places, not in others. The fact that you're being told to recheck your info is interesting, so far all I've seen is "declined". I guess they might have a different ZIP code associated with it, but I have no idea which.

This is really frustrating and it's incredible how you posted back in August, now it's October, and they haven't replied to this thread. We can't be the only ones having this issue.

Login to Me Too

jeffreim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for adding to this thread. I hope more people will share their frustration.

And it's not that I don't appreciate the idea of being able to use my PayPal account in credit card form on websites that don't accept PayPal as payment... Obviously that's why I signed up for the service. But when it is not readily accepted as a Master Card at many (for me so far, most) online stores, I have to ask, "what's the point?"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.