How does Pay in 4 work for a preorder?

WLLPWR
Contributor
Contributor

I use Pay in 4 out of habit, but this time it was for a preorder where the merchant does not process any payment until the item ships. There was no popup that prevented this method even though I wasn't sure how it would work for a preorder. Nevertheless, a first instalment was charged "pending authorisation", despite no details of the remaining payment plan being shown. Preorder was placed successfully with the merchant.

Does PayPal account for this initial Pay in 4 payment for this transaction when the item actually ships? That is, will I be charged the remaining 75% only? Or is this 25% going to be refunded, with the full amount due being processed from scratch when the item ships?

I am hoping I am not charged 125% in the end.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @WLLPWR

Thanks for joining the Community! 

I apologize for the confusion this has caused. Your Pay in 4 repayments will still process just as with a regular order. They will not be delayed because the charge is for a preorder. You will still only be responsible for the total amount of the purchase, and you won't have to pay any extra. However, the authorization will be voided if the merchant doesn't collect the payment. At that time, you would be refunded for the total amount of any payments you've made. 
I hope this helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.