wrong payment methond

foxtrap614
Contributor
Contributor

I mistakenly choose the wrong payment card. I meant to choose my credit card but choose my checking instead. I do not have the amount in my checking account. I do have a back up card selected as my credit card but i am nervous i will be charged overdraft fees.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Elloisa
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @foxtrap614 

Hey, thank you for reaching us here.

More likely, your payment is now completed and your bank account will be debited since it was the funding source that's been charged. Some options available for you to prevent getting overdraft fees charged by bank is to request a refund to your seller so that the money will just go back to it's original funding source and then you can process a new payment with the correct funding source. You can also just fund your bank account since it'll take 3-5 business days before the money be taken out. 

Reply back to the post if you have fuirther questions.

Thanks and Regards.

Login to Me Too

foxtrap614
Contributor
Contributor
That is no different then a check. What is the back up for then. I don't find using PayPal helpful especially with how complicated choosing the payment options are.
Login to Me Too

Elloisa
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@foxtrap614 

Hey thanks for your response.

When your bank account is selected as the funding source for the payment, PayPal will usually front the payment for you since getting money from a bank account takes 3-5 business days as it is a standard banking process which we call eCheck or electronic cheque. 

The back up funding source is there to ensure that you will have another funding source that we can charge just in-case the original funding source would fail for any reason.

See this article to learn how to change your payment method during checkout: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-change-my-payment-method-during-checkout-faq999

Regards.

Login to Me Too

foxtrap614
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately that did not happen in my case i was in fact charged an over daft fee. To my knowledge i have seen no effort by paypal to use my back up payment option. I am frustrated with this situation and have removed all my debit and checking accounts. I will probably not use paypal in future. I will just  use my credit card and work with my bank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.