why is payment pending for so long?

clintb1
Contributor
Contributor

for years I have had my bank account linked and that is the one and only way I've ever used Paypal. Now out of the blue the account is unlinked and my Paypal account is in debit. So I've gone and relinked it (who knows how it unlinked..) and transferred money to free up the debit but its still pending and each time I try to pay for an item with Paypal, it wants to transfer the outstanding amount as well. Payments have been pending for a week now and sellers are frustrated because they haven't been paid.

Is something wrong with Paypal at present? what is going on?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@clintb1

If you have had a failed bank transfer OR negative balance then paypal sometimes de-activate / link that bank account for further use.

Try paying via a credit or debit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you pay with an eCheck or instant transfer from your bank account? eChecks are slower than instant payment with your bank account. And did you complete the bank linking process with confirming the 2 small amounts?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

clintb1
Contributor
Contributor

how do I check this? I dont know what an echeck is- i thought i just linked my account for instant transfer- thats all its done in the past...

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I mean the customer's payment type. Did they send payment as an eCheck. They process slower than instant transfers. Did you get a payment confirmation from PayPal? It should say if you received an eCheck. You can also contact the buyer and ask them what payment method they used within PayPal to pay.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

clintb1
Contributor
Contributor

My question relates to my own payments to other sellers. Not payments to me. its my payments that are still pending after 7 days. I don't know why that should be when a standard transfer from a bank account only takes 1-2 days to clear.

Login to Me Too

clintb1
Contributor
Contributor

i have just discovered the problem. when i relinked my account, Ive selected Cheque not Savings.

thats obviously what you were referring to?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@clintb1

If you have had a failed bank transfer OR negative balance then paypal sometimes de-activate / link that bank account for further use.

Try paying via a credit or debit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

efoks
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I think the eCheque option is absolutely out of date. It should be disabled as such to begin with, because it slows down the whole transaction process immensely. If I don't have funds - I don't have funds. Period. If PayPal wants to be helpful and still proceed with the transaction as an eCheque, then it should give me an option to clear the funds/payment as soon as I can, rather than locking you up to a week because they imposed an old age processes and restrictions. I should be able to clear the balance as soon as possible, so that the transaction could proceed and then deal with the eCheque when it clears as it would become my PayPal balance. it's horrendous that in this day and age PayPal can't be more helpful with transactions.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.