using my paypal balance for ebay purchases

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

I used to be able to buy things on eBay using "Buy it Now"  or when I won and auction and it would give me the options at checkout to use my existing PayPal balance.   Now, it only gives me the option to use my credit card or paypal, but when I click to select paypal it wants me to add a credit card. When I go to the settings for payments on ebay it lists credit card, checking account and paypal, but I have to now click to a billing agreement for paypal and then it takes me to paypal and I have to add a credit card to complete the purchase. It doesn't give me the option to use my balance.  Any idea on how I can again use my paypal balance to make payments?  I have over $350.00 in my balance at this time so it isn't an issue with not have the funds available to me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

I think that I may have finally found some information on why I can no longer simply use my balance for purchases.   https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-can-i-do-with-my-personal-paypal-account,-paypal-ca...

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-can't-i-send-money-using-a-balance-faq3959

Looks like I need to link some new type of Paypal Cash Account to my account in order to use that balance.  What a hassle this is.  Why all the hoops just to use the cash balance I have - this is nuts!!!

Login to Me Too

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

from what I have read @ https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/faq3996   I should have received an email about the updates that were going to take affect on March 29, 2019 --- But I never received that email.  

It states that 

Effective March 29, we’re changing the way U.S. personal account holders can use and hold a balance with PayPal. We’re making these changes to comply with a new federal regulation that comes into effect on April 1. U.S. personal account holders who want to keep money in PayPal or use other features that rely on a balance will need to have a balance account linked to their personal account.

Do I need to do anything because of these policy changes?  

If you have a personal PayPal account and have confirmed your identity with us before the end of March, there is no action you need to take. A balance account (which will be referred to as PayPal Cash Plus) has been automatically linked to your PayPal account. Your balance account information will be accessible using your existing PayPal login, and we’ll automatically transfer any balance you have in your personal PayPal account to your new linked balance account. With your new balance account, you’ll be able to enjoy all of the same balance features you do today.

I confirmed my identity when I opened the account quite a few years ago and was never asked to confirm it again.  

When I click the link on that page to set up a PayPal Cash Account it simply takes me right back to the top of that same page.   Grrrr........

Login to Me Too

lmhjcr
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that I had this whole thing resolved when I linked a credit card to my paypal account.   I have now make 3 different purchases on ebay and every single one of them show up here on my account in the summary, but they were all charged to the credit card that I linked to my paypal account instead of using the outstanding cash balance that I have with paypal - which is over $300!   How the heck do I get the ebay purchases to use that paypal balance instead of the linked credit card?

Login to Me Too

BusinessBushido
Contributor
Contributor

EXCELLENT QUESTION! 
Paypal really seems to go out of it's way to make everything WAY more difficult than it needs to be. I can remember a time when paypal was actually easier than sending money orders via the mail....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.