sending money to belize

calmlady2018
Contributor
Contributor

I put in $400. to send to Belize - email was asked for to make payment to friend. She says that they cannot receive paypal in belize. where did my money go?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@calmlady2018

Yes they can accept paypal payments in Belize

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13...

But if they are saying no and asked you to send it as a gift payment then sounds as if you may have been scammed.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules. Smiley Sad

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Belize PayPal Accounts can receive payments - what is the status of the transaction in your Account Activity Section - if you see "completed" then the money was accepted, if you see pending or unclaimed, check the email address you sent the money to.

Login to Me Too

KF14
Contributor
Contributor

I live in Belize and I am about to undertake some online work which only pays through Paypal. The banks stated that a credit card is necessary to withdraw money, our local debit card can't be used to withdraw cash from Paypal and we cannot send the money directly to our account, the banks do not allow it. So if someone from Belize states that they cannot withdraw the money it is not a scam @calmlady2018 @kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KF14 

You can receive funds in Belize and you can withdraw funds to any VISA card so there shouldn't be a problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

KF14
Contributor
Contributor

I have a VISA debit card but the bank states it can only work with VISA credit card. I have checked with the bank so I am explaining it to you as a person who lives in Belize who cannot afford a credit card. I have it in writing as shown below from the bank:

Sadly the only way to use Paypal in Belize is by credit card which we offer at reasonable rates. 
Thank you for using Atlantic Bank

@kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KF14 

Whether you personally can get a credit VISA card is not is between you and your card issuer.

The point is that you can withdraw to a VISA card in your country so you can withdraw funds if you want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.