refund to balance and not card

Axladi
New Community Member

Hello! I made a purchase and the seller made a refund . I would like to get the refund ammount to my paypal balance and not to my card. How can i do it ? Does any one of you know ?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Axladi wrote:
Hello! I made a purchase and the seller made a refund . I would like to get the refund ammount to my paypal balance and not to my card. How can i do it ? Does any one of you know ?

Refunds usually go back to the payment method you used to fund the payment originally. The only way is if you ask the seller to send the refund as a friends and family payment which goes to your PayPal Balance before they refunded. If the seller refunded already, it can't go to your balance, it will go back on your card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Axladi,

I'm sorry to hear there's confusion about the status of your refund. I'm happy to help!

The information that @sharpiemarker very helpfully gave regarding the way that refunds are credited is correct for the most part. If a credit card was used, it will go back to the credit card. If a debit card was used, it will likely go back to the debit card, but under some circumstances that may not be possible, and it would go to your balance. If the payment was funded by a bank account or your PayPal balance, it will go back to your balance. 

Card-funded payments that are refunded back to the card may take only a few days to show up on your online banking statement, or they may take as much as a full card billing cycle. That's determined by the card issuer.

Additionally, sharpiemarker is correct that a friends and family payment would go directly to your balance rather than your card, but receiving a refund as a friends and family payment should be avoided if possible, as there is no protection for that type of payment and if a chargeback or unauthorized dispute is opened on that payment, it would be at risk. Typically, this doesn't happen, but the safest way to receive a refund is if the refund is sent through the refund option on the transaction.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.