$$ received by mistake

heystaceyv
Contributor
Contributor

Someone sent me a payment in error. Is there a way for me to refuse it?

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate transaction / genuine mistake, or if this is some kind of scam --- So I don't want to send money to them and have it deduct from my own account.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@heystaceyv 

Are the funds SHOWING in your paypal account balance OR have you just received a possible scam email to that effect? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

heystaceyv
Contributor
Contributor

It was an email, but now the funds are showing in my account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@heystaceyv 

Was there a fee deducted from that payment?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

microclone
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to ask the community for an answer that should be common to Paypal.  A friend accidentally send funds to my account instead of the landlord, listed right next to me.  How can I get funds to correct receiver without paying Paypal more fees?

Login to Me Too

NewBraunfelser
New Community Member

This also happened to me. Yes, a small fee was deducted. I don't want to engage with some other person on the other side of the world about this (they're in Germany and I'm in America). I think this might be a scam. Should I just ignore this and let the guy who sent me the money get this resolved on his side?

Login to Me Too

Apocalypse0448
New Community Member
I have the same issue but there was no fee involved. If I refund the person, will I be charged?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.