"continue shopping" link in cart sends to wrong page

abdnha
Contributor
Contributor

We have had our online store many years.  Recently we noticed that when a customer buys an items and is taken to the paypal page to confirm it, they are no longer taken back to the shopping page they were on when they click "Continue Shopping."  They are taken to the home page of our website, not to the store page.  This has worked properly for years so the change must be something at the paypal end.

Ideas to fix this?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

My "continue shopping" link in cart sends people to my cancellation page, yet the item or order is not canceled.  It has worked fine for years, until now.  I don't know what has changed or how to fix this problem.  

Login to Me Too

veecee2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, did you ever find the answer to this problem? I have the identical issue. I've also had my store for years and the "Continue shopping" link took the customer back to the Products page (the page from which they added the item to the cart). Now, "Continue shopping" takes them back to my home page and the customer has to go to the Products page again, which is surely confusing and annoying for the customer. I hope you fixed it and thanks for any tips you can offer. 

Login to Me Too

Scott_SVDP
Contributor
Contributor

Found a solution to "continue shopping" link taking me to my home page instead of the page it came from.  https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Business-Tools-Archives/Continue-Shopping-button-sends-Home/m-p/...

From that post:

In Step 3 of the button creation process look at the bottom you will see "Advanced Variables".
Note the text box near the bottom of the page.
There you can insert extra variables.
Insert the "shopping_url" variable and value:
shopping_url=http://www.yourwebsite.com/your_page.html
There's no HTML extras, just the name of the variable, an equal sign and the value.
Be sure to save the code. As you're using the hosted button code, you won't have to recopy the code to your web page again because that info is saved to the PayPal Servers. You need to edit each button the same way. This way you can return the customer back to your site or any specific page you desire.

I simply edited the code of my "saved button" and added the page url as described above and resaved and it volia!  It worked

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.