"Please add a payment option"

AshtonMcC
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to make a purchase through paypal however it tells me that I must add a payment option even though I already have my bank account linked for making purchase's online through paypal.

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AshtonMcC 

Have you confirmed the bank account with the 4 digit code and have you used it before to fund payments?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AshtonMcC
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I have already confirmed the bank account with the deposits and have made purchases with it before.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @AshtonMcC

Thanks for verifying this information. Is this a specific merchant that you are having an issue making a payment through. Some merchants do require an instant funding method which would be a card to make transactions. This is normally related to transactions involving billing agreements like Netflix where they charge you monthly. 

Also, it could be that our security system is blocking the payment. If you have had a payment fail before, if the payment is larger than normal, or if you have several payments processing at the moment. I would recommend adding a card to your account to use as a backup payment method to hopefully allow more transactions with your bank to go through. 

Regards, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

KathyMeN
Contributor
Contributor
I link my card, it says it’s successful then sends me back to the same page asking to add a payment method over and over and never lets me select my card: and in settings it shows my card as linked and available.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Natasha

Hi @KathyMeN,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering an error when trying to add a card. Please take a look at this article for some troubleshooting tips for this issue.

I hope this helps!

-Natasha
Login to Me Too

dan19926
New Community Member

Not very helpful. The error I'm getting (which I believe is the same as the OP) is AFTER successfully linking the credit card. I have done this and already successfully made payments with that card, and set it as my default payment option. Yet sometimes PayPal seems to forget that it's there and insists I add a payment option. I am currently experiencing this and can't make a payment when it worked just fine in the past.

Login to Me Too

domecq
New Community Member

Hi The same happened to me, after successfully linking my debit card and I confirmed it pulling the verification digits from the bank statement. When I want to send money is asking me to add the payment method 😞 It's like ignoring what I did before.

Thank you!

Nico.

Login to Me Too

whistlepig

Same issue

Login to Me Too

squishygirly

Purely useless. This unresolved issue is unacceptable and it's a good thing that the payment I'm being blocked from making is one TO Paypal. Straight up clown activity.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.