problems with PayPal & eBay

HybridCollect
New Community Member

whenever I try to list an item on eBay I am given this message "The email address you entered isn't linked to a PayPal account. If you don't have a PayPal account, you'll need to set one up with this email address so that buyers can pay you." however I have checked the emails attached to both eBay and PayPal and they're the same with no typos and my PayPal Account is verified with my bank account and debit card so why isn't it recognising that my email is linked to a PayPal Account when it actually is

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

tjskywasher
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this problem in the last week and have spoken to both eBay and PayPal. Initially eBay said it wasn't their problem and speak to PayPal, which I assumed they would, and PayPal said it wasn't them and speak to eBay. Typical. In the end I spoke to eBay again, the agent said they'd just had someone call with the same problem and was advised they'd call back. In the end I received an email saying it was a system problem and had now been resolved, but I was still unable to use my new email address with eBay.

Spoke to a very nice Irish chap who was very helpful and passed it on to the IT department and yesterday (after a week) he called back. They had managed to remove the immediate payment tick on one of my listings and updated it to accept the new PayPal address and I was advised to get someone to buy the item. The thinking was that once a payment had been received at the new address it should then let me update the PayPal address on all my other listings. However, this hasn't worked and I'm back to square one. I've also tried paying my eBay balance with the new PayPal address, buying something on eBay and linking my two accounts. When I try linking I login to PayPal with the new email address and password, it links with eBay but then in the account section on eBay it still shows my old email address. Still have the old one registered to PayPal because all my listings are going through to it at the moment.

So after almost two weeks of back and forth I have exhausted almost everything and I'm still no further along with the issue. I need to speak to PayPal about it next but haven't had the energy to do it yet. If I get an answer tomorrow I'll update this post and let you know how I get on, if you find a solution then I'd be grateful if you could share an answer.

Login to Me Too

ruth213
New Community Member

could you fix it?

Login to Me Too

tjskywasher
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to PayPal this morning and they gave me the run around, nothing to do with them, etc. In the end the lady I spoke to sent me an email with a link to their technical support team. I've logged a request explaining the situation and here's hoping they come back with some sort of answer. I've tried everything with eBay, there has to be some technical reason between the two systems to explain why it doesn't work.

I'll update when I get an answer, if anyone has solved this then please share.

Login to Me Too

cometdata
Contributor
Contributor

hi did you sort this problem. i have exactly the same issue and spend all days today.

many thanks

Login to Me Too

tjskywasher
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Technical Support were unable to help, everything looks fine and there's no technical reason why it shouldn't work. I've since gone back to eBay and they advised that it is now a known problem that they are working on, no timescale for a fix at the moment. So my advice would be just keep trying and eventually it'll work when the fix has been put in place.

Login to Me Too

cometdata
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for the reply. I have since received a mesage from ebay advising me the same, that it is a system error and they are working in a fix.

thanks

Login to Me Too

RosaViro
New Community Member

Didn't know this was a thing until it happened to me as well. Does anyone have an update on this?

Login to Me Too

Shri221980
Contributor
Contributor

The way to fix this problem i just figured out on my own.

Under where you type in your paypal address. unclick the box that states the following.....Require immediate payment with Buy It Now

With that box empty it works, then get a sale and check mark it if need be.

Login to Me Too

tjskywasher
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, eBay did that with one of my items, unchecked the require immediate payment and it let them enter my PayPal email address. The idea was to see if they could get a payment going through to the email address and then see if eBay would let me update all my listings but it never worked. If I try and put the tick back in after the fact it refuses until I change the PayPal address back to my old one. Might work for some people if you only have a few items and don't need immediate payment. I'm still waiting on eBay to fix the problem, tried to change 500 listings yesterday and the problem is still there.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.