payment went to wrong email ID address

frugalnista
Contributor
Contributor

Friday I sent a payment to one of my vendors and I just found out that it went to an incorrect email ID address.  There was one addition letter put into the address which naturally caused the payment to get to it correct payee.  I can't get through to the PayPal land line as it appears they are having technical difficulties with it.  Any suggestions on the correct way to handle this as my vendor is getting impatient.   Thanks you.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frugalnista

Does it show as pending / unclaimed and if so is there a cancel option?

If not and its marked as sent / completed then you may have lost your money dependent on how you sent it ie which option you used?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

frugalnista
Contributor
Contributor

transaction shows as unclaimed so I followed the instruction for cancelling a payment which has now showed up on my account as cancelled on the date of the payment.  Then under today's date it shows "cancelled payment from --------- with the original amount as if owed.  However, I am afraid to send the payment to the correct email address now in case they take the money out of my credit card twice.  I am going to wait until tomorrow and see if I can get through to the land line.  They ought to have their "technical issues" with it fixed by then.  Thanks for your reply.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frugalnista

ok if you don't want anymore help explaining it I will back off and you can phone them tomorrow.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

frugalnista
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, if you can explain it, please do.  The April 20 payment to the wrong address shows a minus amount as it always does when the payment is completed.  However it is  also marked  "cancelled".  Then under today's date it says "cancelled payment from ---------- and shows the amount with a positive balance and is marked "completed".  So does this mean that they cancelled the money going to the wrong address and added it back from that wrong address to my account?  I don't want to now send payment to  the correct vendor and then find out that they took it out of my credit card twice.  I have never had this problem before because all my other vendors send me an invoice from PayPal and I just click on it and it is paid.  This vendor let me know how much I owed and asked me to send payment to them.  My boo-boo and am not familiar with some of PayPal's inner workings.  Thanks for your willingness to help me understand this.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@frugalnista

When you cancel a payment those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

frugalnista
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I got it.  Since it was taken from my checking account I will wait until I see that the refund shows on my account before I issue the correct payment.  Don't want two large debits all at once.  I really appreciate your help.  It was a careless mistake on my part and now I will watch more carefully when I give an email ID address.  Thanks so much for your help.  Problem solved I hope.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.