paid wrong person

pmetcalfe83
Contributor
Contributor

I have paid someone I didn't mean to I put in the wrong email address how do I get my money back?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmetcalfe83

Sadly if it was sent and not pending then the 'wrong' email address must be correct to another persons email address.

As it was sent via friends / family then all you can do is email that wrong email address and ask them if they will return the funds.

If they refuse then you won't be able to open a dispute as it was a gift payment BUT if you funded that paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will recall it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmetcalfe83

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending / Unclaimed.
2. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Completed / Sent.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

52YeeTee
Contributor
Contributor
Money sent
Login to Me Too

pmetcalfe83
Contributor
Contributor

it says money sent it was meant to be to a mate so sent as friend and family but put wrong email in

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmetcalfe83

Sadly if it was sent and not pending then the 'wrong' email address must be correct to another persons email address.

As it was sent via friends / family then all you can do is email that wrong email address and ask them if they will return the funds.

If they refuse then you won't be able to open a dispute as it was a gift payment BUT if you funded that paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will recall it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

pmetcalfe83
Contributor
Contributor

no was just my normal bank account 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pmetcalfe83

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.