new tax charges

jack006
Contributor
Contributor

Just since October 1st tax has been added to each of my purchases on ebay, at sellers tax rate. The taxes are not showing on my reciepts either?? 1) what changed? 2) I pay my tax rate not others, includes international purchases, right? 3) these are charged separately from purchase??

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jack006
Contributor
Contributor

Is this new as of October 1st? Why is it not shown on receipts or at least a separate receipt for them?

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jack006 

To my understanding, the buyer's state's sales tax rate is used, not the seller's because it's all about where the product gets sold/shipped to.  The only time when the seller's sales tax rate is used, I imagine, is when they sell to buyers within their own state.

If you buy from an international seller at a US (as far as I know) marketplace sites, you will be charged your state's sales tax rate on international purchases because the item is being sold/shipped to your state. There will be sellers who have their own independent website who do not meet the economic thresholds required for sales tax will not be require to charge sales tax.

The sales taxes should be charged along with the purchase except for eBay's Global Shipping program where intl shipping and customs/import taxes are charged separately.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

jack006
Contributor
Contributor

Is this new as of October 1st? Why is it not shown on receipts or at least a separate receipt for them?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.