money sent to personal email instead of merchant email address

l84abid
Contributor
Contributor

I sent money to a personal email address but found out I was to use a business email address. When I tried to cancel the transaction with paypal it would not allow me and I am being told the money never got to the personal email address. I have verified it is the correct email address. The money has already been deducted out of my bank account.

What can I do? Paypal does not offer any help or support.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@l84abid wrote:

I sent money to a personal email address but found out I was to use a business email address. When I tried to cancel the transaction with paypal it would not allow me and I am being told the money never got to the personal email address. I have verified it is the correct email address. The money has already been deducted out of my bank account.

What can I do? Paypal does not offer any help or support.

Look at the transaction details of the payment, does it say that payment is Completed or Unclaimed? If it is marked Completed, then the personal email address you sent it to is registered to a PayPal account and should have gone into that PayPal Account. What did you do to try and cancel the payment? Click "Report a problem" button? Was there a Cancel button? 

No one here can access your account.

Perhaps Contact PayPal customer service again: 

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, scroll down to click CALL US.

@AskPayPal for Twitter or facebook.com/paypal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

l84abid
Contributor
Contributor
I was not able to cancel. It said "completed". I tried to cancel it the very next day bit it would not allow me to do so. Support said i can only request for the money to be sent back and their is nothing they can do since it was to a friend and pay option was friend & family.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@l84abid

There is only a cancel option if the email address is non existant, if it exists but is not linked to a paypal account then it would just show as unclaimed HOWEVER if it WAS linked to a paypal account then it would complete..........so the person that owns that email address has received the funds into his paypal account.

If it was a 'friend' or 'family' member then they should be able to confirm this for you BUT if you were using that option to purchase goods then you may well have just been scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.