international transaction and charges

sheila27
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a teacher from the Philippines and my students are in South Korea and I have lots of questions. Here are the scenarios below... which of these is right?

When she sends the fee of for example 60,000 Korean won,
a.) will she be charged for transaction fees on top of the 60,000 that will be automatically deducted in her bank account?
b.) will Paypal only deduct 60,000 from her bank account and subtract the fees from that amount and I receive the remaining balance after the fees?
c) will paypal charge BOTH OF US? If so, how much would we each pay for the charge? We're both using personal accounts. 

What I actually understand is that I, the recipient, is the only one who'll shoulder the fees and that if she sends 60,000, that's the only amount that would be deducted from her account since the fees will be taken from that amount. However, she's insisting that Paypal will charge her for sending fees and it's confusing my understanding.

Oh and last question, are there three fees in total? Transaction fee, cross border fee and the $0.030? Or are transaction fee and cross border fee the same? Will be waiting for your reply! Thanks!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

rabah1991
Contributor
Contributor
a.) will she be charged for transaction fees on top of the 60,000 that will be automatically deducted in her bank account?
She will be charged small amount (about 1500 won for any amount less than 150,000 won).
b.) will Paypal only deduct 60,000 from her bank account and subtract the fees from that amount and I receive the remaining balance after the fees?
No, she will pay total 61,500 (1500 fees + your amount).
c) will paypal charge BOTH OF US? If so, how much would we each pay for the charge? We're both using personal accounts. 
You won't charge anything.

Also note that if you live in Korea you will not be able to transfer this money to your bank account, and you can't transfer money locally.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.