how to stop paypal from using my account balance to pay for reaccuring pre approved payments?

ironballs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There
I would like to stop paypal from always using my PayPal balance in my account to pay for my pre-approved payments

I would like the payment to be taken via my bank account instead as standard

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can action this?

thanks!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Donna

Hi ironballs,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

If you have funds in your PayPal balance, these will always be used first for any payment.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

ironballs
Contributor
Contributor

How do I change this though?

as I want the payments to be taken from my bank in the first instance not the money in my account as it creates all kinds of headaches with my accounts

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @ironballs,

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid that isn't an option. The balance is always used before using the bank. The bank can only be used if the balance is exhausted.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Dave796
Contributor
Contributor

This is utter crap no REAL bank or building society would flat out refuse to change the way payments are made when requested. In fact it is in black and white on the FCA.org.uk website that money being automatically transferred ANY other way aside from the agreed upon method (in other words, anything that involves money being taken from any source other than what is/was provided) is classified as an UNAUTHORISED payment and the bank MUST refund it without undue delay by the end of the day. Ergo, paypal are breaking the law here. https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account

I have looked in to this due to paypal on more than one occasion just automatically taking funds from my paypal account without my consent as part of a payment rather than just from the card details that are provided, and no, paypals T&Cs do not override the law for anyone that might consider replying with some flimsy "Its in the T&Cs!" reply.

Do something about this, or next time this happens to me I will take action.

Login to Me Too

PPJANE
Contributor
Contributor

Fix - I had this issue with a subscription - I simply changed the payment method on the subscription so I no longer pay it via PayPay.

Login to Me Too

vladamir
Contributor
Contributor

I Agree this is complete and utter BS, I use this balance for customer refunds right now I have 3 refunds i cant process because paypal took out 3 massive marketing subscriptions from my paypal balance and theres no way to change this. I may get chargebacks because of this stupid **bleep**, obviously paypal doesent want you to use credit cards or anything other then them but seriously this is rediculous. My subscription only uses paypal so theres no other option

Login to Me Too

Dave796
Contributor
Contributor

@PPJANE that is the whole point these other things are set up with a CARD, yet paypal if money is in my paypal account will "intercept" and deduct these amounts directly from the paypal balance - this IS illegal.

@vladamirIronically it seems this process can also work in your favour. I recently had a buyer on ebay purchase something "by accident" and requested a refund, even though it was a private/personal/whatever term you want to use listing I sent the refund anyway directly via paypal as I still had the item. I then went to cancel and relist the item on ebay but the only option was to "cancel and refund" however because I already transferred any monies in my paypal account to my bank account as a preventative measure of paypal taking funds from my paypal  balance without consent it prevented a double refund situation as there was no money left in my paypal account. This in itself is a dodgy situation though you should not be able to issue a refund both through ebay and paypal as it is extremely likely somebody would end up double refunding.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.