ghost charge

Jollyjumper65
New Community Member

My problem is quite strange : there's a charge in my bank statement($32.34) from Paypal,and yet,it doesn't show on my Paypal account. I have no idea what it was for,or for whom. Can anyone shed some light on this strange problem?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jollyjumper65 

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mimzikins
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me on May 12....I got an alert email from PayPal that a different computer/location logged on to my account in Virginia - I changed my password and went through my PayPal activity and there was nothing done.  No incorrect charges were showing in my PayPal activity.  I felt like I was lucky.  A few days later I was reviewing my bank activity and noticed a second PayPal charge on May 12 to my babysitter.  I double checked my PayPal account, nope, only one payment that I made to my babysitter on that day (this is a Tuesday so no carry over for weekends, etc.).  I asked my babysitter to view her PayPal account for May 12 to see if she received a second payment from me - she showed me her account, nothing.  So neither my PayPal account nor my babysitter's PayPal account show this second transaction - but my bank took out a second payment and sent to PayPal.  I contacted my bank and was having them review - they reached out to PayPal which reversed the CORRECT payment and issued me a refund but took the funds from my babysitter.  So I now have to pay the babysitter again - so this issue is not resolved.  Somehow when my account was hacked - they duplicated the last payment I made that day and directed the payment to go to another account - no clue how it was done as there isn't a record on PayPal on the two impacted accounts but my bank account was debited by PayPal under my babysitters account - with the funds not going to her account.  This is sophisticated ghost coding of some sort and my guess is that it has been going on for awhile as they are only doing the charge once.  I am beyond frustrated as PayPal has yet to contact me to make this right - they should be able to figure out where those funds went.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.