funding source problem with eBay labels Being charged twice- to Paypal and bank account

playbills
New Community Member

Hope someone can help:  I have used Paypal for years, without incident, as my pre-approved payment source for printing eBay labels. Yesterday morning (April 22) when I checked my bank account statement, I discovered that my last eight shipping label payments had been debited from my bank account- IN ADDITION to having already been debited from my Paypal account. I had to print another label yesterday, so now there is a ninth charge in both places- Paypal and my bank account. There is a large balance in My Paypal account, so that's not the problem. The email receipts from Paypal for these most recent (double) transactions say that the funding source used is my bank account. Prior to that, the receipt would say Paypal balance was the funding source. I haven't made any changes in either Paypal or eBay settings.  I spoke yesterday  with reps from Paypal and eBay. Paypal assured me that it was an eBay problem and the eBay rep was sure it was a Paypal problem. (and he was very convincing and knowledgable)  Before I get back on the phone with Paypal today, does anyone have any ideas?   Thanks!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

bughunter
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing has happened to me 10 times since May 13, 2019.  PayPal shows that 10 separate shipping labels, simple USPS labels, were paid for with my BOA account (backup source), AND also shows that PayPal took that same amount out of balance, which normally pays for ALL my labels. I had the money in PayPal, becuse the buyer paid for the shipping, and covered it easily on each transaction. Called ebay this morn, a lady rep in the United States! (Texas), which at least made it easy to understand her. She says it doesn't show on ebay pof two payments for each label. Said to call PayPal. Rep on PayPal was from some Third World Country, spoke half-**bleep** English, and stated I needed to be VERIFIED on PayPal with my birthdate. I have been on PayPal for 11 years, never had this problem until 10 days ago. Some Government regulation, he said. PayPal doesn't show a birthday for me. He also said, at first, I wasn't double-charged, yet I was. That was his first error, of a few. He sent me a code on my phone to do something, I think just to confirm it was me on phone, or some baloney, but sent it WHILE I WAS ON MY PHONE, so when I got the code, it disconnected him. I think he should check to see if McDonald's is hiring in his country. He was worthless. Tomorrow, I ask for MANAGEMENT, and to talk to someone who at least sounds like English is their main language. This double-charging  is not a rare occurence, as the gal on ebay had numerous calls of late regarding this type of double-paying. I just removed my back up funding source (BOA), for now, and there's no way I would link my bank account, EVER. PayPal took the money out of my balance AND my bank account. They owe me, and they will pay. I can be very persistent. JP

Login to Me Too

cattlewood
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problem, 17 transactions that were sent via USPS were both billed to my paypal account and my bank account, up to $176.00 so far, the customer service people were of no help and seem anxious to get off the line, I've stopped ebay and paypal activity until I can get some affirmative action, this is double dipping, piliffering, stealing with no accountable recourse, I'm very disappointed in paypal

Login to Me Too

I called about the same problem but the paypal rep said on his end it showed that the bank payment went to reimburse the paypal payment of the shipping label. I said I have no proof of the transaction where that action happened. He assured me that he can see it. I still feel they ripped me off without the proof of the transfer. 

Login to Me Too

cattlewood
Contributor
Contributor

I have proof that they have been double dipping on USPS shipping charges, I sent the paypal arbitration a copy of my bank statement showing deductions and the paypal statement showing identical payments being deducted from my paypal balance, 17 total transactions totaling $178.00 and still they deny fault, it is sad, I have used paypal for over 15 years and this level of indifference and lack of accountability is shocking and unacceptable.  I have had no success resolving this issue as they are beyond reproach

Login to Me Too

Autumnpalace
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. They have double billed me 14 times for about $150.00. I sell dishes so my shipping is high. I called and talked to a CS rep for about 20 minutes.  She even took down some ID numbers from one of my statements that clearly said it was deducted from my bank. Finally, she said she was going to transfer me to someone who dealt with EBay labels and could get it straightened out for me.  I talked to that person for about 5 minutes and then she said I would have to talk to PayPal about that. I said, what the hell? Aren't you PayPal?  Are you Ebay???!!! She said she was Ebay and could not address my problem.  I was so mad. What can we do?  I am going to try to phone Monday morning and try to get a supervisor.  If they don't fix this, I will make copies of all PayPal Account Statements and all Bank Statements, and write a letter to PayPal and threaten to go to the media and Better Business Bureau.  Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

cattlewood
Contributor
Contributor

sorry to hear you have experienced the same issue, it is frustrating, I've not been able to get either ebay or paypal to resolve or even look at the issue, for now they have a monopoly on the service, but the day will come when we will get a choice and we will remember. 

Login to Me Too

Autumnpalace
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I finally solved this issue that was plaguing my (our) eBay accounts.  I called PayPal and on the 3rd try, got a CS rep who knew what I was talking about. She told me how to fix it to pay from your PayPal balance instead of your bank. Back in April, banking regulations made PayPal act like a bank if they were going to hold money, so we had to upgrade our accounts to a Cash or Cash Plus account. PayPal sent us notification of this back in March, but many of us didn't get the memo.

The way to do this now is to log into your PayPal Summary that shows your balance.  Click the button where it says, Accept My Money. It will give you a choice of your bank or a Cash (or Cash Plus for businesses) PayPal account. If sometime in the past you already gave them your SS#, clicking that button will immediately create the Cash account.  Then you will have a choice between PayPal Balance and your back up bank. If they don't already have your SS#, you will get a form to give it to them. Then, you can choose to pay everything, including purchases, fees and shipping, from your PayPal balance rather than your bank.

And it was not double paying. Using 2 PayPal statements, I took the ending balance from the previous month and added my sales income, but did not subtract the shipping costs (which looked like they were taken). The ending balance on the second statement matched my ending balance. So although it certainly looked like we were being double billed with all the green minus signs, we weren't. Those green deductions reflected what was taken from our bank accounts, not our PP balance.  Nothing was taken from our PayPal balance because we had not created a Cash Account, which was required as of April 1.  Our balance was unavailable until making the Cash account, and could not be accessed except to transfer to the bank.

Login to Me Too

cattlewood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for all your efforts, I have been paying all debits from my bank and nothing from the running balance with paypal, this has been working, I'll go back and do the math for the totals last spring when it appeared the double dipping occured, thanks again. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.