eCheque - item cancelled - not seeing refund status.

Mark290
Contributor
Contributor

I asked a seller to cancel an order just after the eCheque for payment cleared. The order email from the vendor says I was refunded but I don't see anything pending refund in my account, and I've received no emails as I usually do about a refund.

The order was cancelled 7 business days ago. I'm wondering if I'm just being impatient or the seller might have to manually push through the refund due to it being an eCheque.

Many thanks!

- Mark

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mark290 

If you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded/completed it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mark290
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers mate 🙂  I'm aware of the times for refunds, but notifications of a pending refund is (in my experience) at the same time the vendor cancels the order. Every time I've gotten a refund I'd get an email from paypal and see a pending refund in my account. I've gotten neither of these notifications 8 business days after the vendor cancelled the order.

My question is - is it normal to not have a notification of a refund from paypal more that 8 business days after the vendor cancels the order?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Mark290
Contributor
Contributor

So the answer to this is the vendor cancelled the order within an hour of the eCheque payment going through - Their eCommerce platform must of freaked out and didn't process the refund because it was in the magical time of payment going through as order was cancelled.

I assume their system saw nothing as paid and cancelled the order, assuming it would cancel the eCheque payment. Unfortunately for me the eCheque had cleared and was in no mans land during that time, of which their(most?) eCommerce system(s) essentially divided by zero and assumed a canceled payment would prevent it from reaching them (of which it normally would).

TL;DR: eCheques are weird and there's a "witching hour" between cancellation and the ability for a refund to issue where the vendor gets the payment and I don't get a refund until I ask them to go through their logs.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.