double charged after first payment declined for NSF

egrant1010
New Community Member

Paid my rent on the 4th this month, through paypal. Paypal and my bank (USAA) took a leisurely three days to actually remove the funds. In that time, an unexpected fee to reship a Christmas present hit, and left me five dollars short. Paypal kicked the payment back for insufficient funds and charged me thirty bucks for the privileged. Frustrating, but fine, my bad. I added funds to my bank account to cover what was missing, and sent it again, on the 7th. Now, on the 15th, Paypal informs me that I owe them a second rent payment. Because apparently they didn't just cancel the first payment when it failed, they just waited and arbitrarily charged it again more than a week later? Frankly I'm stumped for the logic here. What went wrong, how do I fix it, and how do I make sure this stupidity doesn't happen again?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@egrant1010

If you authorise a payment ie your rent and there are not enough funds then paypal will try again a little while later and if that again fails they will put your account into negative OR charge any back up card linked to your paypal account.

If in the meantime you have paid again then whichever payment reaches paypal second will be credited to your balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.