debit card

judyp
Contributor
Contributor

I transferred $240.00 from my linked bank account to my Paypal account. It shows that the money has been received by paypal, but it's pending and I have a $0.00 balance. I was told I could still use my paypal debit card to make a purchase even if it shows a $0.00 balance as long as I have another bank account linked to paypal. Is this true? Will my paypal debit card be accepted or will it be declined?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@judyp 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

Takes several working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option BUT funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later.

HOWEVER you never need funds in your Paypal account balance as a buyer as i said above paypal credit the seller for you BUT they only take that 'risk' if you pay...

1. Bank transfer but have a back up card linked to your account as well.
2. Debit or credit card.
If you have option 1 but have no back up card linked then your payment may go as an echeque and you and the seller will have to await clearance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@judyp 

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay.

Takes several working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option BUT funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later.

HOWEVER you never need funds in your Paypal account balance as a buyer as i said above paypal credit the seller for you BUT they only take that 'risk' if you pay...

1. Bank transfer but have a back up card linked to your account as well.
2. Debit or credit card.
If you have option 1 but have no back up card linked then your payment may go as an echeque and you and the seller will have to await clearance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RedboneRepair
New Community Member

I still don't understand . I have 2 debit cards. One of my employees has one and I have the other one. We do it this way because I'm not always available when something needs to be purchased. However even though my bank account and another debit card are both confirmed back up funding sources our debit cards get declined if the money is not in the paypal account. Can't seem to get a straight yes or no answer to , Can I use my pay pal debit card at a store with a $0.00 balance but I have money in the back up funding source? So far the answer is no judging by the declined statement from the clerk. But paypal can't seem to tell me why. Is it for online purchases only? If that's the case it should say so clearly. There are enough things to deal with in business. I don't need to spend time on something like this.

Login to Me Too

bearcatnat
Contributor
Contributor

I had been using my Paypal business debit card for months, with my bank account set up as my backup funding source. I only sometimes actually had funds in my Paypal account. The rest of the time, the debit would go through and be charged to my bank account. Within the past few weeks, my PP debit card has been declined whenever it has a $0 balance. Has something at Paypal changed? I wish I knew!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.