changing a vendor status from inactive to active

nyshopper
New Community Member

I mistakenly cancelled the ability to make payments to a vendor and they are now listed as inactive. I want to change their status back to active so can make purchases from them again but cannot find out how to do that. Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nyshopper wrote:

I mistakenly cancelled the ability to make payments to a vendor and they are now listed as inactive. I want to change their status back to active so can make purchases from them again but cannot find out how to do that. Any suggestions?

You'll have to go back to the merchant or your account settings with the merchant to enable it and/or make another purchase to set up another active link with them during checkout. Or go back to the automatic payments page and click the "Find More Merchants" button and select a merchant there.

Once it's an automatic payment marked canceled, you can't reactivate it from the PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nyshopper wrote:

You'll have to go back to the merchant or your account settings with the merchant to enable it and/or make another purchase to set up another active link with them during checkout. Or go back to the automatic payments page and click the "Find More Merchants" button and select a merchant there.

Once it's an automatic payment marked canceled, you can't reactivate it from the PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Rightshine1
New Community Member
They need to allow you to reactivate a merchant.
Login to Me Too

SayTieT
Contributor
Contributor
back to the merchant or your account settings with the merchant to enable it and/or make another purchase to set up another active link with them during checkout. Or go back to the automatic payments page and click the "Find More Merchants" button and select a merchant there.
Login to Me Too

sjp10
Contributor
Contributor

the merchant is refusing to let me pay with PayPal since I made them "inactive" in my PayPal account. That's just crazy. I don't want vendors to have easy access to my PayPal account. That's why I started using PayPal in the first place, because I don't want my credit card info stored on a zillion vendor databases. I don't want to be at risk any time a vendor's database gets hacked. PayPal "automatic payments" completely cancels the safety that was previously provided.

Login to Me Too

SayTieT
Contributor
Contributor
I mistakenly cancelled the ability to make payments to a vendor and they are now listed as inactive. I want to change their status back to active so can make purchases from them again but canno
Login to Me Too

cbj3
New Community Member

Doesn't work.  Found inactive Merchant button (eBay Shipping) but once opened nothing to click on to edit to change status to active.  😞

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525ap
Contributor
Contributor

I inactivated a merchant in error and found no means to reactivate it via Paypal - come on Paypal how hard can it be to place a reactivate button on our accounts? I have gone back to the Merchant and a recurring payment is still showing active their side so I'll see in a few weeks if that's enough to push a payment through. Paypal you need to up your game.

Login to Me Too

Amoxicellin
New Community Member

I had to add a "new" payment type to my subscription that I accidentally canceled, and just picked paypal again and had to re-enter my info. Kind of a pain when it could be the click of a button but I'm sure there's a reason for this on the banking side.

They should explain this in the "inactive" list screen though.

Login to Me Too

sjp10
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to make a purchase on Chewy.com using PayPal and they just keep saying "cannot process payment." Because I made them inactive in my Automatic Payments. There is no way to re-add PayPal to Chewy.com. And no way to make them active again on my PayPal account. That's just ridiculous! It pretty much renders PayPal useless to me. I've been using it a long time to protect my credit card and keep it OFF of every vendor database. But if I can't use PayPal UNLESS it's set up as "automatic" with every vendor, anyone hacking the vendor can gain access to my PayPal account. "Automatic" payments mean the payment goes through without my logging in to PayPal. That feels quite insecure. I might as well just use my credit card directly on vendor websites.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.