canceled payment

breyes
Contributor
Contributor

I cancelled a payment to a seller before the funds were accepted. PayPal never paid the seller and on my summary page it says transaction cancelled - however it also says refund pending. PayPal has attempted to withdraw the money twice from my bank even though the seller received nothing from PayPal. Why are they doing this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @breyes,

Great question - when a transaction is initiated using a bank account, we automatically send the request to the bank. Even if a transaction is cancelled or refunded, PayPal does not have the ability to request the bank stop the original transfer request. This means that if the transfer completes, it will deposit into your PayPal balance and is available for other purchases or to be withdrawn back to your bank. If the transfer doesn't complete on the first attempt, we automatically represent it three days later. If that request fails, the transfer is terminated. I understand this is an inconvenience, but hopefully the issue is resolved soon.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @breyes,

Great question - when a transaction is initiated using a bank account, we automatically send the request to the bank. Even if a transaction is cancelled or refunded, PayPal does not have the ability to request the bank stop the original transfer request. This means that if the transfer completes, it will deposit into your PayPal balance and is available for other purchases or to be withdrawn back to your bank. If the transfer doesn't complete on the first attempt, we automatically represent it three days later. If that request fails, the transfer is terminated. I understand this is an inconvenience, but hopefully the issue is resolved soon.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

breyes
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You Very Much - Easy/Understandable/Logical - Explanation

Login to Me Too

gogosoon
Contributor
Contributor

The company I was paying asked paypal to refund a payment. In my paypal, it shows a refund. In my bank account it still says pending so the bank is still holding the funds because paypal hasn't withdrawn the payment request. This is affecting my OD and paypal isn't answering any phones.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.