being scammed

jayman7477
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I think I am being scammed.  I have sold my mobile phone using Paypal,  I have checked my Paypal account and the money hasn't gone into my Paypal account.

The sellar has told me he has sent the funds and that I need to send proof of postage to Paypal for them to release it which I have never heard of?

I have also received some emails from Paypal however the email address seems dubious as its not from a Paypal account saying this

We have received your message regarding your recent transaction with Bailey Drew which is yet to reflect on your account, You only need to reply to this message with the Royal Mail Shipment Tracking Receipt. We hereby assure you once again that the total sum of £630.00 will be credited into your account  as soon as you provide us with the complete details of the Shipment Tracking Receipt. 

I would like to know if this is legit.

Any help would be much appreciated as I cant get through to Paypal on the phone or online chat

Thanks

Jason

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jayman7477 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jayman7477 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.