am i getting scammed???

kingitia
Contributor
Contributor
So this guy on instagram offered me $2000 and i’m from Australia and he’s from New york . He said for me to send $100 to his friend for a “steam card” because they don’t sell them in aus. And as i was in process of sending the money to the friend it converted into Canadian dollars. But anyway it sent through and then i got an email from “paypal” of the guy on instagram that he’s sent me $2000usd but it said it couldn’t process into my bank until it’s been cleared and so i let the guy know and he said i had to pay $150 to clear it or something and so i payed his friend again but this time he asked to send it in US dollars and to put it on friends&family service only. Which was weird and then he said not to cancel the payment. Anyway today i checked another email from “paypal” saying the guy sent me $2000usd but then said i have to pay bank charge $50 and i told him how many times do i need to pay and he said this is the last time. And so now i feel like i’m being scammed and don’t know if i can now get a refund. (i spent over $300aud so far) Please help and let me know if anyone knows what i should do!!!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kingitia
Contributor
Contributor
Also, i think the Paypal email i received might be fake too
Login to Me Too

Aragorn8354
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you are getting scammed. He lied to you about "steam cards" not being sold in Australia. I have a friend who buys and uses them on a regular basis and he lives in Australia. Get out of this transaction and run like hell away from this cheater.

Login to Me Too

kingitia
Contributor
Contributor
what if i’ve already sent the money ?? can i get it back or it’s gone?
Login to Me Too

Aragorn8354
Contributor
Contributor

Without more info on how you paid I really can't answer this but my suspicion is this horse left the barn a while ago. Sorry. You do realize you fell for a variation of the "Nigerian Prince" scam? Not judging just trying to make you realize what you did to yourself.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.