Wrong Email Address

Llamafarmer
Contributor
Contributor
I sent a payment to a friend but the email address was wrong, should have been .co.uk not .com. PayPal wont help, person I sent to wont reply to emails and give money back and credit card company said they cant help. I'm so frustrated, I alerted PayPal immediately and cant understand why they cannot charge back?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Llamafarmer 

If you pay into a wrong bank account via bank transfer then the bank can 'reach out' to the recipient and request them to return it but they cannot force them to do so, same as paypal.

You may have rights to pursue them in the small claims court but you would need to get advice from a legal person to see if that is an option for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Llamafarmer 

If you sent it using the 'friends/family' option then you sent a gift of money to someone.

Neither paypal nor your card issuer can chargeback as it would be illegal for them as it was not a purchase for goods/services which would have buyer protection.

Paypal can't just help themselves to money voluntarily sent from their paypal account without their authorisation and agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Llamafarmer
Contributor
Contributor
Lesson learnt the hard way then £200 down. However, it is also illegal for the incorrect recipient to keep the money not intended for them. PayPal indicated if the person does not log in and see they have payment it will just sit there, so PayPal benefit! I used friends and family as it was for a friend in payment for something. Not much room for human error!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Llamafarmer 

Sadly its not illegal as you sent them a 'gift' of money.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Llamafarmer
Contributor
Contributor
Which I can prove was not intended for them.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Llamafarmer 

If you pay into a wrong bank account via bank transfer then the bank can 'reach out' to the recipient and request them to return it but they cannot force them to do so, same as paypal.

You may have rights to pursue them in the small claims court but you would need to get advice from a legal person to see if that is an option for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Brysontd05
New Community Member

Sent $100.00 to the wrong email. Noticed right away and tried to cancel transaction. PayPal so far has denied any help. Even though I tried to cancel and made a case right away.

Login to Me Too

davidsrun
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.