Why was the refund taken from my bank account?

AK_Guy
New Community Member

Hello,

I recently sold a product for 265.00, I ended up refunding it to the seller before ever transfering it to my bank account.  Today, 265.00 was taken from my bank account along with an overdraft fee from my bank.  Why was the money taken from my account rather than the paypal balance???

PAypal says they can't help me with this issue.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AK_Guy 

If you only had the buyers payment in your paypal balance then if you chose to refund you would not have enough in there for a full refund.

This is because paypal no longer return the fee you were charged when your buyer paid as part of any issued refund, so as there would not be enough it would be taken from your bank account instead. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AK_Guy 

If you only had the buyers payment in your paypal balance then if you chose to refund you would not have enough in there for a full refund.

This is because paypal no longer return the fee you were charged when your buyer paid as part of any issued refund, so as there would not be enough it would be taken from your bank account instead. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mr1005lee
Contributor
Contributor

hello, I have the same problem, I refund buyer with full refund, but I have money that I got from refund buyer, why pay pal take all and more money from my bank account instead from pay pal, the agreement is pay pal suppose to take money from my pay pal then if need more then take some from my bank account, now I have a big problem they refund buyer from my bank account 440.29, when i just only receive money from buyer 425.89+11.19 shipping. And I have money $425.89 from buyer , my question why pay pal taken out 440.29 from my bank account, not from my pay pal $425.89 and take some from my bank account. Now I face 2 problem, I refund buyer then ebay still charge me for fees because pay pal not refund the money from the buyer, so it seem buyer paid me then they charge me ? I want you refund my buyer from pay pal than you not charge me for ebay fees , please help me , don't let me crazy by you, help me so you not charge me fee and ebay not charge me fee for full refund item, please, thank you

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mr1005lee 

Read my post above your original question, answer is the same.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.