Why is my Funding Type: Promotional Return

thekatiecakez
New Community Member

I just noticed on a completed transaction with etsy (one which etsy is reviewing for unknown reasons to me and paypal CS) that says "Funding Type: Promotional Return"
I have not gotten any refunds or returns with this account.

The money I used to pay was an available balance I had from recent twitch tips from verified pp users. 

I'm further wondering if this has to do with why etsy is not accepting payments from me like it normally does. 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

BeccaShamb
Contributor
Contributor
I am trying to figure out why a payment I made for a product is marked "promotional return" and yet my bank does not show the partial payment that was supposedly processed. Having lots of issues with PayPal not taking the money out of my account for up to for days when paying with my debit card. Just seems like something is off.
Login to Me Too

puleom1
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I had this occur on 2 charges and dug a little deeper and was able to determine that one was a charge for tax on eBay Branded Boxes purchased using my quarterly $50 eBay shipping supplies voucher.  The other was a charge for an adapter I purchased.  I am unsure why these two charges showed up as this, but probably a coding/processing/computer error, I recommend digging a little deeper and comparing the value (using the date) to your purchase history on eBay and to possible tax charges.

Hope that helps someone

Login to Me Too

Patriziajhall
New Community Member

I noticed this on one of my payments to a seller and if this is going to be a recurring issue, I may have to just make my payments without using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

cruisencode
New Community Member

Did anyone ever figure out what "Funding Type: Promotional Return" means?

Login to Me Too

alisa797
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing this in one of my transactions for the very first time, but it wasn't an Etsy purchase. It was a Chinese retailer who had an ad on Facebook. Has anyone figured out what this means yet?

Login to Me Too

BrianZee
Contributor
Contributor

It seems Chinese sellers find out something. I bought an item, not promotional thing, but I only got an empty box. Now the seller doesn't want to repay my money, although I have a paper from police, that the box is empty. Be aware with these sellers!

Login to Me Too

triciaweg77

I realize this is an older post and I don't mean to stir a zombie but I believe I have discovered a solution to the issue.  Back in 2016 PayPal started a new campaign where basically if a buyer changed their mind about a product they purchased using PayPal when returning it PayPal would reimburse their shipping charges.  This is a completely opt-in program which explains why it doesn't happen often and it is not very popular among the seller community for obvious reasons which explains why it isn't often used.  I don't know if I can link to the article here but I am posting the link below.  

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/paypal-s-new-refund-deal-is-a-hit-but-sellers-are-furious-294613...

Login to Me Too

acmc
Contributor
Contributor

Please confirm what's the meaning of "Funding Type: Promotional Return".

Login to Me Too

Reich
New Community Member

I just had this confusion with a Paypal transaction too, also labeled "promotional return". After doing some digging, I found it was a "one-time payment" I made to Ebay to pay down my fee balance. My Ebay fees are usually auto-payed 1x per month through my account, but sometimes when my balance is getting high for the month, I'll make an additional mid-month payment. This transaction turned out to be just that. No idea why it's labeled "promotional return" as that makes no sense. Hope this helps someone!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.