Why is Xoom asking for verification of recipient info?

Chrlmed
Contributor
Contributor

My wife sends money to her family in Mexico, we have done this many times over the last several years.  Suddenly on this last transaction my sister in law received a message via whatsapp asking her to verify information.  Concerned about scams, contacted Xoom customer service that said they are partnering with some third party that may ask for verification of some items.  Rep said he we should have received an email, which we did not (not in inbox or junk mail), so he forced a re-send of the email.  I asked sister in law to verify that the text references the confirmation code and phone number that I saw...the text itself said very little, but she had also received an email with the information that was on ours.  OK, seems safe enough, still seems odd that the 3rd party would use whatsapp to request the verfication info.  But given the confirmation code and phone number in the email she received, it seemed safe enough.  When she clicked through on the link though, it asked her for a significant amount of information that was already provided to Xoom...personal info such as birthday, address, etc, and even asked for driver's license info and other items.  At this point, I'm concerned again and enough so to consider switching to a different money transfer service.  Can anyone confirm that this verification request is legit, and perhaps confirm the info that this 3rd party should ask for?

Very poor change management on Xoom/Paypal's part, assuming this is legitimate...:(

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

lxlolpz
New Community Member
Same issue here, suddenly it did to us. Contacted Xoom too and was told this was normal that this third party (Intermex) might be requesting verification via whatsapp. It seems sketchy but I hope its all good.
Login to Me Too

Alixbueno
New Community Member
What happened?? Same here’s whatsapp but idk it looks like scam for me
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.