Why did seller deduct from my account, not PayPal?

PLP1
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered from Ebay and I chose PayPal to pay for it.  Later I noticed a deduction on my account from someone I never heard of. I was concerned because it was an electronic withdrawal not just a Debit card amount.  I had my bank trace it down and it was from the seller not PayPal.  The whole point of PayPal is to protect me from sellers I don't know.  Why bother to go thru PayPal if the seller is going to put the charge thru themselves? Very unhappy with PayPal at this moment

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Mizzely
Contributor
Contributor
It does still go through PayPal, but instead of just saying "PayPal" it attaches the seller account who you paid. This is so you have more information for your accounting or in case you have a dispute. If they all showed up as just PayPal on the bank statement it would be a lot harder to keep track of things. The seller still gets none of your information. Just like when you pay with a card at a store, it doesn't just say "Mastercard" or "Visa" even though that's the payment processor, it lists the store you used it at.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.