What is the message "You have money waiting: $xxx.xx Log in to accept it."?

keriah
Contributor
Contributor

The message "You have money waiting: $xxx.xx Log in to accept it." appeared out of nowhere on my statement. What is this and is it safe to accept it?

If it really is a credit transaction, why does the transaction detail not show up in my account activity?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@keriah 

If you were not expecting a payment, then the message is suspected to be a phishing one. It's even more suspicious if you do not actually see a transaction in your PayPal account waiting to be accepted.

If you can report the message to paypal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-a-fake-paypal-email-or-website-faq438

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

keriah
Contributor
Contributor

I'm online now with chat. They recommend accepting it (to get rid of the message). I'm being told that it is "in my balance" of my PayPal account but that I would need to upgrade my account to a balance-holding PayPal cash account -- with fees associated. So it sounds like this 'scam' (?) is by PayPal itself, i.e., marketing. Can that be??!?  Is no one else seeing this in their account? 

Since it also prints on my statement each month, it doesn't seem like it's a phishing attempt from outside.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 12.01.09 PM.png

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.