What if they have turned the money back to non-functioning credit card?

Deena3
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there!

About a month ago I'd purchased an item from online shop, which I later found out to be fake. It is only now that the owners/multiple foreign bank accounts started to withdraw money directly from my credit card. As soon as I realized I immediately contacted my bank which blocked my card and it is not functioning anymore.

My next step was to file a case against unauthorized credit card use here on PayPal and it seems like they have already decided to send the stolen money back to my credit card (the Activity bar on my Summary page says I should have received the money back - more specifically, the transaction reads 'Money Refund: Paypal; Transfer).

Here's where my problem starts. Since I had blocked my credit card before filing a case against the unauthorized transactions, I'm worried that I will not be able to receive the money because the card is not functioning anymore. I have also deleted it from my Paypal account and I don't have any bank accounts registered here neither.
I've already tried to contact the help center via e-mail but they haven't responded yet. What I would like is to get my money sent directly to my Paypal account if possible, which is what I asked the Paypal company to do in mail, too.

Is there anyone who was dealing with similar problem in the past or is dealing with right now? I'll be very thankful for any help. Also, please excuse the grammar or other mistakes if you find any, I'm not a native speaker and I've tried my best to write this post.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Deena3,

Your English is great! I am not multilingual myself, and I have great respect for those who are!

I'm sorry to hear that a refund is going back to a closed card. A refund will always go back to the card that was used and it is not possible to prevent that from occurring.

Please contact the card issuer to inquire about the refund. The card issuer may accept the funds or decline them. If they accept the funds, you will need to arrange claiming those funds from them. If the funds are declined, they should go back to your PayPal account. If the funds are not found after 30 days, you should contact PayPal customer service to request a trace.

I hope this is resolved quickly for you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Deena3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Olivia!

I have already managed to get the money back to my bank account.

As soon as I could I contacted the bank and described my issue to them. They were fast enough to somehow get the money back from Paypal (that's only my assumption, to this day I don't fully know the details of their work) and send the money back to my account in less than 2 days. 

However I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. Thank you very much! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.