What happens when payment and backup payment methods both fail?

Dmichellec
Contributor
Contributor

I paid an invoice with a deposit only bank account that does not allow direct debit, with a back up card that is a random visa gift card that doesn't have anything on it. I meant to pay with my debit card but somehow that got messed up.

The person already received money somehow, even though I got an email that the instant transfer from the bank account was declined and they'd try again in three days.

The problem being when they try again in three days, it's still going to decline, the back up card is going to decline too.

What will happen then? Will I be able to chose to pay with the right card?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dmichellec 

PayPal paid ahead for you to the recipient immediately, that's the "instant" component of instant transfer method of bank account/backed with card payments.

If the bank payment fails then your PayPal balance will be in the negative (owing PayPal) and you must add funds to the PayPal balance to zero it out. If you're based in a country that does not have the add funds option, then you'll either have to call customer service to pay your zero balance, or make another purchase with credit card as main funding source and PayPal will tack on the negative balance at checkout, or if you receive a payment, it will go towards zeroing out your negative balance.

To contact customer service for further assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other available options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.