Was charged 49.99 DD payment randomly?

neo123
Contributor
Contributor

Last month I bought a game for 49.99, assuming I had money in my bank account. Unfortunately, I had a payment that went out on the same day that removed all funds from my bank account. I was still able to buy the game somehow, this then put my Paypal balance at -£49.99. I was planning on topping this up when I got some more money. I just checked my bank account today and it has shown a payment of £49.99 go out, with the title of Paypal - DD. I was confused by this as I read Paypal doesn't charge for being overdrawn, so I checked my Paypal account expecting my balance to be £0.00. That wasn't the case however. 

I am now confused as to why that has happened as I never setup a DD (direct debit?) with Paypal before and I never gave my consent for something like this.

It seems like this is a random payment and I am clueless on what to do now. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated - is there a way to get my money back? Especially as it didn't even restore my balance, and the payment is not in the recent transactions area in my account.

Cheers,

Neo

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @neo123,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear a recent transaction didn't necessarily go as planned there. I can understand how concerning that can be. If your balance goes negative in relation to a recent transaction where PayPal was unable to capture the funds from your bank, you may see an additional attempt from your bank within a business week or so. If that attempt fails, you may see another attempt at the beginning of the following month if the PayPal balance remains negative. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @neo123,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear a recent transaction didn't necessarily go as planned there. I can understand how concerning that can be. If your balance goes negative in relation to a recent transaction where PayPal was unable to capture the funds from your bank, you may see an additional attempt from your bank within a business week or so. If that attempt fails, you may see another attempt at the beginning of the following month if the PayPal balance remains negative. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Leaby
Contributor
Contributor
This has also happened to me today only i had no payments going out and had enough funds in my account. I was charged £49.99 so went into my bank to see what it was for and it says Paypal under monthly my DD. I haven't set anything up for a monthly DD.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Leaby 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

Sometimes it does not coincide with the date you made the payment as paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account, they can 'leave' that account at anytime from a few hours up to a few days later. Also the 'amount' can sometimes not be recognised if you used it as a part-payment with the rest coming from funds already in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Leaby
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass That makes sense. Thank you for your reply explaining this for me. I cancelled the DD as i did not recognise it. I hope this doesn't cause any issues.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Leaby 

If you cancelled the direct debit then you will no longer be able to use your bank account as a funding source to pay sellers or add funds to your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Leaby
Contributor
Contributor
I will rectify this on my next Paypal purchase. Thanks for confirming and for putting mind at ease re the payment that went out. Kind regards.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.