Using a prepaid Visa... does your preferred funding source kick in, once it run out of funds?

peml

Hi,

Currently I have a credit card and my bank account linked to PayPal, and I just added a prepaid Visa card.  If I use it to buy something that costs more than what's on it, does PayPal automatically pay the remainder using my preferred funding source (a regular credit card)?

So, for example, let's say I added a $100 prepaid Visa... I go to eBay, buy something that costs $300, and select my prepaid Visa as the funding source to use... How exactly does that work?  Does the payment fail?  Does the prepaid card get charged the maximum it can ($100), and then my primary funding source get charged the remainder ($200)?

I figure that's what ought to happen... but I'm a little fuzzy on what the order of operations is.  Anyone happen to know?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@peml 

Prepaid cards don't do split payments. If you buy something more than what's on the card, it will decline.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/template-management/prepaid-gift-cards

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.