Unknown direct debit

Akaleez
Hello, Checked my bank and direct debits to see one is coming out for £11.99 a month from a maureen whitmarsh jp morgan. I’ve cancelled it but what is this and how has this happened? Thank you.
Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Akaleez 

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

If you have cancelled it then you can no longer use your bank account as a funding source to pay sellers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Akaleez
I haven’t paid £11.99 to anyone and it’s not appearing on my recent transactions too. Just in my Hsbc as a direct debit for 19th Of every month.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Akaleez 

Do you have netflix? Could it be this >>>

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/Maureen-Whitmarsh-of-J-P-MORGAN-Not-A-Scam-NETFLIX/td-p...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Akaleez
Yeah I do. I’ve just changed it so I use my debit card to pay them rather than through PayPal. Hopefully it’s harmless. Thanks for the replies.
Login to Me Too

Akaleez
I did pay £11.99 to Argos and that came out last Tuesday but not sure why it would be set up as a direct debit though
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Akaleez 

Because if you paid via paypal using bank transfer then you need a direct debit set up so that paypal can take the funds from your bank account.

Re-read my first post as it explains it better.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Marie020
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve had the same happening to me. Did your matter get resolved? I can’t get hold of anybody to sort it out for me
Login to Me Too

MrsP4
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve had a direct debt set up for ‘PayPal payments” when I queried it with my bank they said it was set up 2 days ago by Maureen whitmarsh. The direct debt was set to go out weekly for 43.60 It’s strange cause I made a payment for that amount to someone else a few days ago and that hasn’t gone out of the bank yet. I’ve contacted both PayPal and my bank
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrsP4 

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.