Unemployment and PayPal

tatheran
New Community Member

Here's my complicated question that I will try to explain.

I send money from my PayPal to my roommate, who then in turn pays someone for the rent.

My roommate collects unemployment at the moment.

Will the money I send him for rent raise any red flags to whoever signs his unemployment checks? Will they turn off his unemployment if it looks like he's receiving $$$ from me every month even though it is used to pay rent?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tatheran 

No. It's not "income" for your roommate. The funds are sent for a specific purpose that's not for your roommate to do with as he/she pleases. Send the rent money as personal payment from your PayPal balance or your bank account to your roommate so it not considered a sale which goes towards a 1099K

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tatheran 

No. It's not "income" for your roommate. The funds are sent for a specific purpose that's not for your roommate to do with as he/she pleases. Send the rent money as personal payment from your PayPal balance or your bank account to your roommate so it not considered a sale which goes towards a 1099K

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Jennifer210
New Community Member
Here’s my issue I filed for my unemployment and got approved I used my routing and account number from my PayPal account and have not received any of my unemployment money deposited into my PayPal account has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a way to resolve it thanks
Login to Me Too

LVHotboi86
Contributor
Contributor
Honestly, same. I’ve been stuck in Arizona waiting on my UI and no luck for three days now. Three weeks total of no ui card, no dd, no nothing
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.