Understanding refund process / fees

DaFoot1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I'm trying to understand the way Paypal has handled refunds to end up at the balance I have.

So background.... I'm handling payments for event registration for a not-for-profit group. Website is setup to register people and take payment via Paypal, which all works.

Unfortunately we had to cancel an event recently, so I went through payments issuing refunds.

So at £20 a time per person there was approx £1200 in the account when I started issuing refunds. In the mean time I'd had a single £20 payment for another event.

So I expected my balance after refunds to be approximately £20 (minus fees). It actually ended up just shy of £10, so apparently £10 down.

Can anyone here help me understand what happened to that £10? In the transaction log it looks like fees are refunded to me as I issued refunds, is that correct?

Do Paypal actually refund all fees when I issue refunds back to customers?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaFoot1

When someone pays you, your fee is 3.4% + 20p per transaction (I am presuming you are UK as you are talking in pounds).

So when you issue a refund Paypal credits the 3.4% part of the fee back again for you BUT they do not credit back the 20p as that is kept as a processing charge for doing the initial payment for you and the refund.

So basically for each refund you 'lose' 20p.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaFoot1

When someone pays you, your fee is 3.4% + 20p per transaction (I am presuming you are UK as you are talking in pounds).

So when you issue a refund Paypal credits the 3.4% part of the fee back again for you BUT they do not credit back the 20p as that is kept as a processing charge for doing the initial payment for you and the refund.

So basically for each refund you 'lose' 20p.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DaFoot1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

I spent some time last night picking through transactions and figured I was getting differing fee values refunded.

At least I understand why now so I can explain to accountant!

Login to Me Too

Hectorsmum
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve been lead to believe that as from October 11th 2019, PayPal will no longer be refunding the 3.4% fee, if you issue a refund to a buyer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hectorsmum 

Thats correct.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.