Unable to use Paypal Balance to Pay for items through Paypal itself? Payment declined.

joeljoel1
New Community Member

Hi there. I recently created this account for use with selling on Ebay. It has been active for 2 or so months and I have successfully been able to recieve money from Ebay, transfer money to another person for a refund, and transfer money into my bank account which is linked and verified. 

I am looking to buy a $25 Google Play gift card (for myself, and my email is verified), which I am trying to do through Paypal's site. You can get there from the summary page by clicking on "offers" then "personal" then "Paypal digital gifts". I currently have my payment preference set to my Paypal balance which is sufficient. I am able to add the item to my cart, but when I go to checkout, my payment seems to get declined. In my cart, I click "Buy Now", the page loads, and pops up this message "We aren't able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please go back to merchant and try using a different payment method." This is odd since the "merchant" is Paypal itself. Anyway, switching my payment preference to my bank or credit card did not help.

I talked to a customer service rep who said that my transaction was declined automatically by their internal security system and to wait 24 hours to try again. It has been 3 days since then, and the exact same error occurs. I realize this is a one time purchase for me, so it might seem out of the ordinary for the security system....maybe? But I don't understand why it would be so picky on Paypal's own site. Anyway, I would just purchase one in store, but it is not deemed essential. 

Is it a huge deal that I get it? No, but it's rather convenient. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide 🙂

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.