Unable to refund buyer

xzxzxz
New Community Member

I sold an item on Grailed, a reselling clothing marketplace, and, after immediately purchasing the item, the buyer requested to change the address. I did not follow through since I knew that I would lose my seller protection, so I then offered a refund. I've been trying to refund them for the past few days now but I've been unable to do so since the payment shows up as "on hold", and whenever I try clicking the refund button, it says that I am unable to refund because the payment.

I've tried to refund using the virtual assistant but it asks me if I want to confirm the refund using my own money from my bank account, despite not receiving the payment.

I've already emailed PayPal and they said this:

"After reviewing your account, I see that the funds for this payment are not put on hold by PayPal. Please be advised if the buyer wants the item to be shipped to a different address you can update the new address and ask the buyer to confirm the receipt of the item. Please share the below steps with the buyer.

Here's how to confirm that you have received an item:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Activity.
  3. Find and click the original payment for the item .
  4. Click Confirm Receipt.
  5. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

If you don't see this information in your PayPal account, you may need to click Classic View and proceed from there.

If not, you can refund the payment and ask the buyer to place the new order. However, as PayPal has not placed an hold on this transaction, please contact your partner Grailed for further information regarding this hold."

I sent those steps to the buyer via Grailed messaging but then they said that they bought the item with a debt card as a guest, so I told them that they need to contact Grailed directly since PayPal says that they're holding the payment. 

Is there anything that I am able to do as the seller anymore? I didn't know at first that the buyer had checked out as a guest, so that might be the issue, on their end not mine.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @xzxzxz,

Thank you for your post and for joining the community!

A transaction that is on hold can only be refunded using your own funds, to be recouped after the payment clears. The funds, once refunded, will return directly to the payment method used by the guest buyer.

I am sorry for any confusion.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.