Unable to pay with my linked bank account

commandline09
New Community Member

I have my PayPal account linked up to a bank/checking account that payments are deducted from. I have run into an issue where when I attempt to use PayPal on certain sites it links to the PayPal website for authentication but then instead of properly retrieving my account and linked bank info it takes me to a screen that asks me to enter a credit/debit card to continue. I want to pay with my bank account and not use any credit/debit card so I just cancel out of this screen and get dumped back to the sell website.

Does anyone know why this is happening and whether it is a common occurrence for those who have banks or investment accounts set up as their payment method in PayPal? Is there someway of telling why I am getting directed to enter a credit card or anything I can do to improve my chances of it being properly recognized? I have had several chats with support who have just said basically sometimes it won't work with certain sellers and sites and that you should just enter a backup payment option. I just can't believe that is the only solution though.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@commandline09 

Some sites want to make your checkout experience faster or smoother by asking for a backup payment method and setting up a profile with them on the next buy so read the checkout screens carefully. When you complete payment in such a case with a bank payment, PayPal's system will determine whether or not to do an instant transfer or eCheck or if you have a PayPal balance, it'll check if you have enough in there and will do a split payment with your card back up. What the agents said has some truth to it, it is also how PayPal is integrated at any given site. Some let you select the payment method you want, some wants a back up payment method. Some want a credit card on file to let a transaction through.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.