Unable to make a payment

Jpmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Every month, I send some money to Buddhist Monk friends in France from here in Hong Kong.  However, after several years of doing this via paypal, I get a message this evening saying 'Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country.' This is new as I sent money just 2 weeks ago.  What's going on? 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Ajoyghosh8512
New Community Member
I can't make or sent any payment
Login to Me Too

LittleSheep17
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem and same date when the problem started.  I sent a ticket to PayPal support.  I'll see what they say.

Login to Me Too

LittleSheep17
Contributor
Contributor

I first contacted "customer support" and they directed me to contact "Merchant Technical Support."

Merchant Technical Support then told me to contact "customer support" because they said:

"We have reviewed the back end logs and have confirmed that the issue you are facing is not caused by a Technical Error. "

So they left a "service note" on my account.

I contact customer support again and after looking they told me to contact "Merchant Technical Support."

"Merchant Technical Support" will probably then tell me to contact customer support because it's not something they can fix.  It's a stupid endless cycle.  Anyone had any luck yet?

Login to Me Too

LittleSheep17
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like it's working again.  If you were trying to make a payment from Fiji, Egypt, China, India, Japan, Taiwan, or Hong Kong, you got the error:

"Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country."

Customer Service knew absolutely nothing and were of no help.  They just made lame comments about international restrictions and didn't even look into the problem.

Try it again.  Hopefully, it stays working since no one seems to know what's going on or how the problem started.

Login to Me Too

Jpmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Nope. Still getting that error message and I cannot find a way to contact customer support.  However, if I go into my Paypal account and send the payment that way, rather than via the link in the merchant's website, it goes through right away.  

Def a technical issue somewhere especially as it's affecting all of East Asia it seems.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Tekyia
Contributor
Contributor

It's definitely not just East Asia.

Login to Me Too

Jpmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  I've just emailed them letting them know of the issue and the countries it's affecting.  I've had a paypal account for 15 years and this is the first issue I've ever had with them.

J

Login to Me Too

LittleSheep17
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like the problem comes and goes.  Customer service doesn't know anything and will run you in circles.  Maybe you'll get lucky and get someone who actually knows something.  But you'll probably get someone saying it's the country's regulation that won't allow PayPal payments, or someone who'll direct you to Merchant Technical Support who will then direct you back to customer service.  I highly doubt it's a country's regulation that's changing ability to make PayPal payments multiple times a day.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.