Trying to get a refund from merchant for cancelled order

M1sterP
Contributor
Contributor
I made an online order and chose PayPal for payment, but then cancelled the order. The payment was showing as pending on my PayPal account and then was taken from my bank account, even though I’d cancelled the order with the merchant. Despite numerous emails and attempts to contact the merchant, they will not acknowledge or respond to these so at present they have my money for the order I cancelled. I tried to open a dispute through Resolution Center but PayPal have said they have received information from the merchant and are denying my claim because “your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute“. So I’m at a loss as to what I can do to get my money back. If PayPal aren’t willing to help - even though the merchant is 100% at fault - what hope do I have? Can anyone suggest a course of action so I can get this resolved?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@M1sterP 

Even when an order is canceled, the bank payment still has complete and then gets redirected back to your PP balance when it reaches PayPal and then automatically gets transferred back to your bank from your PP balance.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

M1sterP
Contributor
Contributor
So how does the payment end up back with PayPal if the merchant is flatly refusing to acknowledge my emails? Is it down to the merchant to advise PayPal that the order was cancelled and pay the money back to PayPal, so it can be refunded to me? Because through their silence and inaction I have no faith that they will do what’s needed. It’s been over a week with no response or acknowledgement so I won’t hold my breath. I thought PayPal was there to protect buyers from this kind of thing but obviously not.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@M1sterP 

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.

If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.