Temporary authorization

Skittlesneon
New Community Member

So I recently placed a pre-order for a collectors edition game not due to be released for several months and when ordered was told the payment will not be charged until such time as it ships. I can then see the Paypal transaction showing "This is a temporary authorization to make sure your payment method will cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when #### completes your order." which again is fine. However it now shows on my bank account as a pending payment for the full amount.

I am wondering if this is in error or if possibly the pending payment on my card is simply Paypal checking it can be charged and then in several days will simply be returned to my card as usable funds as its not due to be paid until the end of 2020 when it releases. Its unclear from anything I have checked if due to using Paypal I will have that Pending transaction on my bank account for the entire time making the funds non usable or if its simply a quick check and pending hold but will go back into active funds and then be charged properly when the item is released ? I do understand that the payment will still be pending on Paypal the entire time but more concerned with it pending on my bank withholding those funds.

Any help or advice if this is the case would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Chethan

Hi @Skittlesneon!

Welcome to PayPal Community!

I understand that the pre-order placed using PayPal is pending for several months. I would like to inform you that when you place a pre-order using PayPal, you will give payment authorization to the merchant and the funds will be moved only when they capture it. If the authorization status is pending, the merchant has not fulfilled your order or taken payment from your account at this time but normally if they don't, the pending status times out at 30 days. Since the funds are stuck in pending for several months, please contact us so that we can void it.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of PayPal's pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

You can also send us a Personal Message from our official Facebook or Twitter pages. It's https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter. Thank you!

I hope you find this information helpful!

Thank you for being a valued PayPal Customer!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.