Supposed payment to my account

hawkvet1
Contributor
Contributor

Does it really have to be this stupid to get to this point...?  Anyway, I received an email, supposedly from PayPal, saying I had received a deposit of $89, which is not showing on my account, and I think this is probably some kind of scam...anybody else have this problem?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @hawkvet1,

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to help!

There is a possibility that the email is legitimate, but only under certain circumstances, which can easily be checked without clicking any links in the email. The only legitimate reasons why a payment would not show on your account when received to your email address would be if a) the payment was in a currency other than the ones you hold in your account, or b) if your email address were unconfirmed on your account.

If it's the currency issue, you can manage currencies in your PayPal wallet to add the currency of the payment. If it's the email confirmation issue, you can confirm your email address. Any unclaimed payments should appear shortly after resolving the issue causing the payment to be unclaimed.

It also could very well be a fake email, as you suggested. Here are some tips for recognizing a spoof email

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

hawkvet1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...I'll forward the email and see what happens...I certainly don't have any reason to be receiving a payment like that...

Login to Me Too

hawkvet1
Contributor
Contributor

This is just a what if reply...I did go to your suggested link about how to check spoofs, but that isn't an answer or a resolution to my ultimate question of whether this was identified and addressed by PayPal...maybe you want o check into the circumstance, identify the supposed sender and deal with it...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @hawkvet1,

Thank you for your reply. The information in that link outlines some tips for recognizing a fake email for your own protection, and also suggests sending the email to spoof@paypal.com. Emails sent to that address are collected and investigated by experts who do work with service providers to take down phishing websites, email addresses, and phone numbers whenever possible. This does happen largely behind the scenes. I'm sorry for any frustration surrounding the lack of visibility into the process.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.