Steam/Paypal keeps declining my purchases?

xsvennnn
Contributor
Contributor

2 days ago i went on Steam and bought some in game stuff for about $15. Later i bought a new game for myself, and right afterwards i tried buying it for my friend. But when i tried buying it for my friend i started getting this error message "Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method." After trying about 2-4 times to buy the game for my friend, it finally went through. Skip to today, i tried buying something else on Steam. I get the same exact error, and no matter what it just won't let me buy it. I posted on the steam forums and they say its paypals fault since it's saying the "payment processor has report an authorization failure" so here i am looking for some answers. My Paypal is linked to only my bank account, which is verified. My bank account has money in it. And I live in America. So none of those are the issues. Hoping i can get some help.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Kre8iveLady
New Community Member

I have had the same problem. I spent well over an hour on the phone with PayPal. They told me it was a problem Steam was having with their interface. Steam tells me its a problem with the PayPal login interface. Can you say, "Pass the buck?"! By the way, Paypal did tell me that you are not allowed to use your PayPal Mastercard for any purchases on Steam because it is considered the same as a site that offers gambling or alcohol! But, they said that you can pay using your PayPal balance which is what I have done in the past. But, now, it no longer gives me that option. Just a few days ago my PayPal payment went through just fine, now, it will not even give me the option of paying through PayPal at all. Is it a PayPal problem or a Steam problem? At this point they are both blaming each other, but to my knowledge, neither Steam nor PayPal are working on fixing the issue.

Login to Me Too

Metalslug27
New Community Member

Here in 2020 with the same issue. Only thing linked is bank account. Plenty of money in it. Everything is verified. Steam just wont let the payment go through. Makes no damn sense. If I wanted to use my card, I would just use my card, what use is paypal if I cant use it without my card?

Login to Me Too

Redlazer

The problem isn't with Steam, it's with Paypal. They are refusing to process certain transactions for Steam with no explanation why and no ability to change it. 

They said on the phone to me that "Their security program detected an issue" but they can't say what or do anything about it. 

Login to Me Too

duncy
New Community Member

I have this exact problem as well, not only on Steam but pretty much everywhere else: it won't let me use my bank account. Paypal customer service is blaming the seller. Ugh.

Login to Me Too

Bakimono
New Community Member

About a week ago my paypal worked fine.

Then suddenly it wont work anywhere for anything for any reason.

I call my bank, everything looks fine, must be paypal.

I talk to paypal, must be the bank.

I attach a BANK ACCOUNT and not my card and it *kinda* works just it will deny most transactions and the ones that do go through seem to be put on hold for an absurd amount of time.

I have a transaction where the money was taken out of my account instantly and 48 hours later everyone still says they don't have the money.

This is 100% a paypal issue and they don't even have staff equipped to diagnose it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.