Someone filed for a refund after i gave them what they paid for.

Lars20002
New Community Member

I sold two gift cards on ebay, I sent the buyer the two codes and they asked if I had any more.  They then filed for a refund on Paypal, claiming they did not make the transaction, even though I have messages with them. Paypal has now given them a refund and so I have lost my money. Is there anything I can do to get my money back?  They received the gift codes they paid for, asked if I had any more, then filed for a refund.  Why would Paypal give them the money back?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lars20002 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, however there is ZERO seller protection for digital / virtual sales, you can sell them but at your own risk.

You should really read up on seller protection before you start using paypal to sell.

If you sold gift cards you should have sent them trackable in the post and then you should have been covered. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lars20002 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, however there is ZERO seller protection for digital / virtual sales, you can sell them but at your own risk.

You should really read up on seller protection before you start using paypal to sell.

If you sold gift cards you should have sent them trackable in the post and then you should have been covered. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.